24 de janeiro de 2016


Then Eliphaz the Temanite said in reply:

If one ventures a word with you, will it be too much?
But who can hold back his words?
See, you have encouraged many;
You have strengthened failing hands.
Your words have kept him who stumbled from falling;
You have braced knees that gave way.
But now that it overtakes you, it is too much;
It reaches you, and you are unnerved. 
Is not your piety your confidence,
Your integrity your hope?
Think now, what innocent man ever perished?
Where have the upright been destroyed?
As I have seen, those who plow evil
And sow mischief reap them.
They perish by a blast from God.
Are gone at the breath of His nostrils.
The lion may roar, the cub may howl,
But the teeth of the king of beasts are broken.
The lion perishes for lack of prey,
And its whelps are scattered.

A word came to me in stealth;
My ear caught a whisper of it.
In thought-filled visions of the night,
When deep sleep falls on men,
Fear and trembling came upon me.
Causing all my bones to quake with fright.
A wind passed by me,
Making the hair of my flesh bristle.
It halted; its appearance was strange to me;
A form loomed before my eyes;
I heard a murmur, a voice,
"Can mortals be acquitted by God?
Can man be cleared by his Maker? 
If He cannot trust His servants,
And casts reproach on His angels,
How much less those who dwell in houses of clay,
Whose origin is dust,
Who are crushed like the moth,
Shattered between daybreak and evening,
Perishing forever, unnoticed.
Their cord is pulled up
And they die, and not with wisdom."

Job 4
(JPS)